Persephone DeVilaineFull Name: Persephone Cassytha DeVilaineBlood Status:
British and French (she was born while her parents were on a diplomatic mission in France)Place of Birth:
Mont Saint-Michel, FranceDate of Birth:
December 12th, 2038Age:
English, French, Breton, Latin, various others with varying levels of competenceRelationship Status:
very long, black hairHeight:
medium height and buildLook Description:
Persephone is quite good looking. She has rather pale, perfect skin, elegant features, luxurious hair, very elegant hands, a graceful figure ... and unfortunately a very large scar on her right hip and several smaller burns all down her legs. She has retrained herself very carefully to move or stand without giving her injury away, displaying once again her former grace, but it is hard work and she cannot keep up the appearance of health for long.Dressing Style:
Usually quite formal and old-fashioned, achieving what is best described as severe opulence. Her legs are always covered. Her predominant colours are black, grey, blue, green and silver.PersonalityCharacter Description:Quirks:
Secret coffee addict. Sarcastic humour. Cynical. Great appreciation of irony.Strengths:
- She is highly intelligent and logical and able to put the facts over feelings.
- She has an immense knowledge about a wide variety of subjects
- She is a very strong and versatile witch.
- She comes from a very good, rich family and has a lot of support from there
- She is an animagus, turning into a magpie
- She is very composed, self-confident and not easily shaken.Weaknesses:
- She is aloof, cold and often arrogant.
- She has an untreatable leg injury: she can no longer walk longer distances, climb stairs easily, or sit a broom comfortably.
- She is quite secretive and does not believe in sharing unless she knows another person really well.
- Can be very direct and cutting when she does not like something. Usually she does not care too much about the opinion other people have of her, so she sees no reason to hold back.
- Does not believe in small hammers: When she took the exam to qualify as a workplace safety expert, it ended with most coworkers leaving very quickly and quite green in the face after she showed the possible results of several cases of negligence a bit too drastically.
- Impatient and has no tolerance for fools - which makes her a bad teacher for lazy students.Likes:
- Flying - which is kind of a problem when you can't sit a broom anymore. The only solution was to become an animagus.
- Detective work - even if it comes only in the shape of a well-written murder mystery (she is even willing to admit that muggles have a few good ones there)
- Her aquarium: It contains a variety of rare underwater plants, a few snails, crabs and fish - very relaxing.
- Her two house elves: They make life so much more comfortable.
- Logic and Order - and by extension paperwork. If you want something, best state it in writing - and be intelligent about it.
- Gloves: Really, how can people keep their hands decent without high quality gloves?Dislikes:
- Idiots, students who behave more stupidly than necessary, people in general
- Her disability and any pity
- The whole Quidditch team (for above reason)
- Uninspired food, bad accomodations, bad clothing - yes, she loves a comfortable lifestyle
- Mousey little Ministry employees and people who are too mild mannered - they might turn out to be mass murderers
- Wizards, especially pure blooded ones, who do not hold themself to a very high standart. Muggles can muggle through, since they do not have magic, nothing more can be expected of them. But a true wizard always tries for perfection.Boggart:
- Jack the Warlock - a very mild looking, forgettable man dressed in a suitPatronus:
- A large badger (she has difficulties casting a patronus spell at the moment)Patronus Memory:
- Playing with her first badger, Arthus, when she was a childMagicWand:
Yew, Dragonheart String, 13 inches, smooth and elegantStrength:
- Herbology: Plants are much nicer and more logical than people, immensely powerful and relaxing to work with. Besides, they are the basic of all practical magic, because every wizard would be lost without their wand, right? And I'm pretty sure you don't want to poison yourself while picking the ingredients for your next potion - or have the right ingredients at hand when your next charm fails horribly. So you better stop treating this as a minor subject, boys and girls!
- Potions: Usually she is better at identifying than at brewing or even developing new potions, but she has a repertoire of analytical potions that are very complex and quite a challenge even to a potion master.
- DaDA: Came with the job. She is somewhat limited in the practical application at the moment.
- Since her accident, she has become a skilled animagus, turning into a large magpie. She can be easily recognized by her crippled leg in this form.Weakness:
- Divination: Tossing a knut is a more reliable way to predict the future - at least it is right half the time.
- All spells/methods that attempt to influence another person or read their thoughts - taking a person over completely is easy, but picking all through their brains to pull the right strings? No thanks!
- Astrology: Admittedly, it is a proper science, but every other one is more interesting.
- Flying on a broom: Yes, she can't do that anymore. No, she does not want any pity for it.
- At the moment, powerful spells might have unpredictable results - she is still trying to find her magical feet again after her acciedent.EducationSchool:
Herbology TeacherFormer positions:
(If any) Auror, UnspeakableFamily and HistoryFather:
Geraint Merlin DeVilaine (Slytherin, died of a heart attack three years ago)Mother:
Selene, née Avington (Ravenclaw, retired, lives at the Côte d'Azure)Siblings:
None, unless you count an aquarium full of small fish.
Since her earliest childhood, she had always had a badger companion - a gift from her parents when they had to move once again, acting both as a constant companion and as a bodyguard. The badgers were especially selected for her by her father and retired honourably to the family seat once they became too old to guard her properly. Her last badger, Lancelot, had been her companion since she began training as an auror. He died trying to defend her after Jack the Warlock had shot her down. He managed to hold on long enough so that a squad of unspeakables could subdue Jack, but died before she came back to consciousness.
As her patronus is tied to the happy memories she has playing with Lancelot's grandfather, she has great difficulties casting a patronus charm at the moment.Background:
Her parents both worked as diplomates and negotiators for the Ministry of Magic, as have all oldest sons of her father's family since anyone can remember. Persephone (or Persy, as she was called) grew up all over the world, moving every year or so - her parents always tried to make each move a happy occassion for her, though, and usually made sure that she had good nanny in each place who could help her explore her new home safely. After she went to Hogwarts, she often joined her parents on holidays, but about half the time she also stayed at school. She quickly learned that many things useful to her parents could be learned by listening to her school mates - one of the reasons why she herself prefers not to discuss her personal affairs.
Persephone was a very good student who enjoyed the scientific subjects most. She was a chaser on the Quiddich team for her two final years and student assistant to the Herbology teacher since her third year.
After she finished school, she applied for training as an auror - while her father would have liked to see her in the diplomatic service as well, he knew that with her temper and personality that would have led to a catastrophe. She was accepted and excelled at it - so much that she was recruited as an Unspeakable (although her father might have had something to do with that, too ...). She quickly specialized in crime investigation, but kept up her field qualifications as well.
Nearly a year ago she was tasked to investigate a number of murders that had the aurors stumped - clues they found disappeared again, others led to improbable suspects, and the sheer amount of things going wrong inexplicably was staggering. The murdered people were all pureblooded witches who preferred to live in muggle surroundings - keeping the murders and the following investigations secret was a nightmare in itself.
Working on the clues discovered by the aurors and some intelligence discovered by her own department, she came to the conclusion that the actual murderer (calling himself Jack the Warlock) was an assistant to the Minister of Magic.
Realizing that he would likely find out that she was going to identify him, she tried to contact the aurors working the case, but before they could respond, Jack attacked her in the department's storage hall, wielding a wand made powerful by the blood of his victims. The following fight led to the destruction of several invaluable artifacts, and the resulting wild magic has made it impossible to completely heal the injuries she recieved. She managed to temporarily slow him down by collapsing half the roof over him, depleating most of her own strength. Realizing that she would not be able to defeat him, she and Lancelot tried to escape on her broom through the big hole in the ceiling, but the wild magic made this very difficult as well - and unfortunately Jack had very quickly dug himself out again. A powerful shot disintegrated her broom and a big chunk of her right hip and caused her to fall down from considerable height. Lancelot survived the fall long enough to defend her until a number of other Unspeakables, alerted because of the collapsed ceiling, arrived and subdued Jack.
She has spend three months in St. Mungo's and is as healed as she will likely get. Unable to keep up field qualifications, she had to choose between accepting a desk job or changing careers; since the Herbology position was open, she decided to take a sabbatical from the Ministry to give herself time to explore her options. Also, she hopes that with the research she will be able to do in Hogwarts, she might further improve her hip. She also was warned that her magic will likely need a longer time to heal completely, and has noticed that she has difficulties controlling powerful spells at the moment. She hopes that her stay at Hogwarts with all its magical safeguards will help here, too.
Officially, she has been an investigator in the department against the misuse of artifacts and has been in an accident when investigating the import of low quality wants.