Two Year Anniversary!

April 2017 Featured RPG

July Featured RPG

November Featured RPG

Cryptic Conjuring -> The Decision
It is June 2076. The sun is sticking around and with it the early rises and late sunsets. This month has highs of 15°C and lows of 7°C. Rain becomes rarer while one or two thunderstorms will occur. High pollen count and high humidity start to become issues.

A guest account is available for anyone who would like to look at other skins prior to joining. The username is CCGuest and the password is guest.

Choose your skin:

Rating

Click for Explanation
Plot
With the muggleborns in charge, nothing has really changed since the Battle of Hogwarts. The sides have been switched with those bearing old family names being discriminated against. Once again the revolution is upon us. What side will go to the darkest places to get what they want? Will it be yours?

Full Plot & Storyline
Staff
Amber
Global Admin

Maz
Plot Admin

Tim
General Admin

G
Admin's Little Helper
Social Media

Tumblr

House Points
Gryffindor

Hufflepuff

Ravenclaw

Slytherin

Casters
Spell and Dueling Caster

Bludger Caster

Chaser Caster
Board Stats
Adults
Male 14
Female 10
Non-binary 0

University
Male 2
Female 2
Non-binary 0

Hogwarts
Male 7
Female 12
Non-binary 0

First Years
Second Years
Third Years
Fourth Years
Fifth Years
Sixth Years
Seventh Years

Blood Status
Pureblood 13
Halfblood 20
Muggleborn 10
Unknown 1
Squib 1

Creatures
Banshees 0
Centaurs 0
Faeries 0
Giants (part) 0
Goblins 0
House Elves 0
Vampires 1
Veela 4
Werewolves 1
Memories
Looking Back

Complete
New Poll

The Decision, Jonathan Hale
Portia Douglas
 Posted: Apr 24 2017, 06:58 PM

Assassin

Group Icon

Plotter

Galleons: 610
Member Inventory: View

Awards: 1

Portia had finally come to a decision. She could hardly believe that she was about to do this. Two days before, she’d sent a message to Jon, asking for a meeting. She’d spent the last three hours getting into her Eris persona. Now it was time to let him know her decision.

She’d had second thoughts, and third thoughts, but she had finally made up her mind. The thoughts, surprisingly, had nothing to do with actually working for him. It was more that she felt uncertain about revealing her true identity. But, if she was going to work for him, he needed to know. She would have shown up as herself, but she knew he wouldn’t have recognized her.

As it was, she’d arrived at the appointed restaurant about half an hour early. Nervousness had made her rush more than a little when starting to ready herself.

Why did he always choose restaurants? She had no idea, but that wasn’t really important. What was important was that she’d arrived and requested a table for two. It was one thing to reveal the truth to him, as her future employer, but it was out of the question to reveal herself to whichever body guard he’d decided to bring with him that night.

Finally, she was shown to a table and ordered a glass of water. She would wait for him before doing anything else.

Jonathan Hale

--------------------

Thanks, Courtney!

All Characters:

OWLHowler
^
Jonathan Hale
 Posted: Apr 26 2017, 07:25 PM

Investor

Group Icon

Plotter

Galleons: 325

Awards: None

The word from Eris had come as a bit of a surprise. Jon had been deadly serious when he’d extended his offer to her, but he hadn’t really expected to hear back about it. Their working relationship was going well and there hadn’t been any conflicts of interest that he’d been worried about; so even though she hadn’t actually given him her answer in the message that she’d like to meet he was pretty sure that he was aware of just what was about to happen.

Arriving just a few minutes early, he was surprised to see that Eris was already there and waiting for him. It wasn’t that she was ever late, but she was rarely early as well. That would have spoken to a certain level of nervousness for most anyone else; something that Jon was pretty sure wouldn’t apply to the woman he was set to meet.

He spent a moment standing outside the building, watching her sip at her water, and wondered if she was actually feeling nervous; and if she was, just why that would be. With no way to figure it out from the outside, Jon pushed the door open and made his way through the restaurant toward her table. With a bright smile he greeted her, “It was a pleasant surprise to have heard from you. I sincerely hope that you’ve decided to take me up on my offer,” as he took a seat across the table from her.

Portia Douglas

--------------------

=Art by G=

All Characters:

OWL
^
Portia Douglas
 Posted: Apr 26 2017, 08:11 PM

Assassin

Group Icon

Plotter

Could Jon have taken any longer to arrive? Maybe she had arrived way too early after all. Oh well. Nothing she could do about it now. And then she saw him coming towards her. She didn’t stand to greet him. While she had decided to work for him, she wasn’t going to stand on that kind of ceremony and she thought he should go ahead and get used to it from the beginning.

She smiled and returned his greeting. “You’re looking well,” she told him. It was only polite to offer a compliment. “Why was it a surprise, pleasant or otherwise?” she asked. “I did say I would contact you for a meeting to give my answer either way. I never break my word. My work depends on it.” She gave a slight shrug as she discreetly signaled the waiter over. “We’ll take the menus now, and may I have some more water please?” She nodded for Jon to go ahead and order his drink of choice.

Once he had and the waiter had left, returned with menus, and left again, she glanced through the menu. She decided what she wanted pretty quickly. Only then did she answer his question. “Before I accept or decline your offer, there are a few things you should know and that we do need to hash out.” She sat back and waited to see which issue he’d rather tackle first.

Jonathan Hale

--------------------

Thanks, Courtney!

All Characters:

OWLHowler
^
Jonathan Hale
 Posted: Apr 27 2017, 03:40 PM

Investor

Group Icon

Plotter

“Thank you,” he replied, “you as well.”

Jon smiled and agreed, “I never thought you’d break your word about getting back to me, just the way you did it surprised me a little. First of all, it was a much quicker reply than I’d anticipated. Second of all, I’d sort of assumed that the next time I contacted you about a job you’d just tell me that you weren’t interested in my offer.”

“The fact that you actually called and set up a meeting has my hopes up, I must admit.”

When the server appeared at the table, Jon – again – ordered a bottle of wine, and took the menu the server offered, setting it aside. He already knew what he was going to be ordering, and he waited patiently as Eris looked over the menu before returning her attention to his question.

“Very well,” he agreed and motioned for her to continue, “if you think that your secret could be a deal breaker for me then we’d better start with that before we get into any negotiations so that we’re not potentially wasting each other’s time.”

@[Portia Douglass]

--------------------

=Art by G=

All Characters:

OWL
^
Portia Douglas
 Posted: Apr 27 2017, 07:07 PM

Assassin

Group Icon

Plotter

“I only said I’d take a certain amount of time. That time is up today. I wouldn’t have made you wait longer. Especially not until you contacted me first,” Portia replied. She really should have been offended that he would have thought what he did, but he didn’t really know her, so how could she be? “Oh, I almost did tell you I wasn’t interested. But, in all honesty, the work just doesn’t come my way as much. People are running scared, though I’m not sure why.” She shrugged the thought off.

She smiled a little as he said she’d gotten his hopes up. Well, let’s just see if they’re still up by the end of this conversation, she thought to herself.

She waited as he ordered his usual wine. When she saw him set the menu aside, however, she gave a quick glance through hers to decide what she wanted. Once that was done, she set hers aside as well. She wouldn’t call the waiter over just yet. He should be back pretty quickly with their drinks.

“I’m not sure it will be a deal breaker for you or not,” she admitted. She, even now, didn’t really want to tell him her secrets, but if she was truly going to work for him, he did need to know. She had to keep reminding herself of that.

Just as she was about to speak, the server returned with the drinks. She accepted her water and gave her order quickly. Once Jonathan had too, and the server left, she covertly cast a charm so no one would hear their actual words.

She took a deep breath. “I’m pretty sure you must have figured out by now that Eris isn’t my real name,” she began. If he hadn’t figured that out yet, she’d rethink her decision. “My real name is Portia Douglas. With your dealings in the muggle world, you may recognize my last name. It was in all the media some years ago.” She waited to see what he’d say about that so far.

Jonathan Hale

--------------------

Thanks, Courtney!

All Characters:

OWLHowler
^
Jonathan Hale
 Posted: May 17 2017, 02:03 PM

Investor

Group Icon

Plotter

There wasn’t anything that needed to be said about what he’d expected from her; it was what it was, and it didn’t matter at all. They weren’t really that close, so he didn’t even feel the need to apologize. Her next words, however, had him nodding. It was something that he’d seen and heard from several of his people; the work wasn’t as plentiful as it once had been. Even the relatively innocuous drug trade was slowing down.

In general, things were feeling more tense – as though there were something about to happen. People seemed to be nervous about it and that was a bad situation for Jon. He had no doubt that he’d have continued to thrive the way things were, and he’d thrive if things actually came to blows – but this tension was a killer.

“I suppose that, ‘I’m glad,’ isn’t really the right thing to say. But all the same it’s true. I’m looking forward to working together more closely.”

Jonathan was intrigued when she was questioning about whether her secret was going to be a deal breaker. For the life of him, he couldn’t imagine how that would be the case, but he was content to wait her out and see just what it was that she was holding back. Then the server showed up again and they hurried through their ordering and sent the person on their way again.

When she finally confided in him he shook his head and replied, “No, that wouldn’t be a deal breaker at all. In fact, that just makes you even more attractive. Perhaps you may still have some connections that we can make use of.”

“I met your father once when I was just out of school,” he took a sip of his wine and continued, “he was a very competent man. I was sorry to hear that he’d been picked up.”

Portia Douglas

--------------------

=Art by G=

All Characters:

OWL
^
Portia Douglas
 Posted: May 31 2017, 05:31 PM

Assassin

Group Icon

Plotter

We’ll see if you still feel that way, Portia replied silently when Jon said he looked forward to working more closely with her.

“Well, I’m glad it isn’t a deal-breaker,” she answered. “I’m afraid most of my connections have rather dried up. I’ve spent the last years in the magical world and have neglected the muggle world quite a bit. Most of them were, and might still be, watched for any kind of connection to The Family.” She had ignored his comment about her being more attractive. She knew he didn’t mean it outside of wishing to work with her.

She shrugged mentally. “Though I managed to get my mother and Victoria away in time, I haven’t communicated with them in years. Last I knew, they were somewhere in France, though I have no doubt that they’ve moved on by now.” At least she knew they were still alive and free. “Beyond that, let me know what you need and I can wrack my brain to see if I know anyone.” She honestly didn’t think she would. Most of those she had known were in prison now, and those who weren’t wouldn’t give her the time of day, not wanting to be linked to her at all.

“Not competent enough,” she muttered. “I’m sorry too. I do miss my father. I haven’t heard anything from him since he was locked up. Apparently, someone turned traitor on him.” She was sore about the fact that she hadn’t been able to find the rat. If she had, that rat wouldn’t have been breathing. And she had looked. There must have been some kind of witness protection program in place.

Jonathan Hale

--------------------

Thanks, Courtney!

All Characters:

OWLHowler
^
Jonathan Hale
 Posted: Jun 4 2017, 08:30 PM

Investor

Group Icon

Plotter

“That’s to be expected; it sounds like it’s been rather a long time since you’ve been out and about in the muggle world really. With your help we can poke around and see if we can’t scare up any of your old contacts – I’d like to further expand my work out into the non-magical world. Muggles are so much easier to fleece and Gringotts is always most agreeable to exchange the muggle money to magical – for a cut,” he replied with a nod.

It would have been better if she’d still been in touch with some of her old friends and family, but he should have known she hadn’t. It would have been a little too much to hope for that there would already by the infrastructure for an expansion in place. He wasn’t too concerned about the muggle cops watching any of her contacts, though, so that would be something to look into just to make sure there weren’t any loose ends.

Her old friends would be something to look into as well. She seemed to have cared enough about them at one point to spare the effort to help them escape. While he didn’t really expect to ever come to odds with her, it might be worthwhile to have access to someone that mattered to her.

“If you’d like, I can track them down if you’d like to check in on them.”

There wasn’t any need to agree with her and point out her father’s failings for being captured. She recognized them well enough and that was all he wanted. It seemed that there was another person that she cared about and he made the offer, “We could probably get you in to see him if you’d like. If it’s important to you, I could probably arrange to have him released. Evidence is lost or misfiled all the time.”

“I have some useful friends among the muggles,” he finished with a smile.

Portia Douglas

--------------------

=Art by G=

All Characters:

OWL
^
Portia Douglas
 Posted: Jun 4 2017, 08:50 PM

Assassin

Group Icon

Plotter

“I’m sure it would be easy enough for you to find out who they are,” Portia told Jon. “It’s all a matter of public record at this point.” It had been long enough that certain things were no longer sealed. Most people just didn’t have a reason to look. In Portia’s case, she just wasn’t really interested in looking. She preferred the wizarding world for working. “If it’s all the same to you, I’d just rather not be involved on that side of things. I’m not really interested in being that kind of a red flag.” If this whole working together thing was going to work, she would still need some independence. And she would insist on having right of refusal on any jobs. He had approached her, after all.

As he offered to track down her mother and Victoria, she was tempted for a moment before shaking her head. “Thanks, but no thanks. I’m pretty sure they wouldn’t want to be pulled back in, even if it was to see me. Besides, I’m sure they’re settled and happy somewhere far away from here. They don’t need me messing things up for them.” Even as she refused the offer, she was suspicious of why he’d made it. It wasn’t like he really had to do that. But if he ever tried using them against her, one of them would cease to breathe.

Again, he’d offered something that just a few years ago she would have jumped at, but she felt the need to refuse. “As much as I’d like to see him, I don’t really want him to know how I ended up. Outside of protecting the daughter, I wasn’t actually supposed to be part of this life. What little I did before his arrest is secret from him.” That wasn’t altogether true, but she hoped it sounded believable enough.

“Don’t waste any of those favors on me. You have very little that I actually want, other than work and a cure of the boredom that I tend to suffer without a job to do.” That, and she didn’t want to know what he would want as a repayment if she’d gone along with any of his offers.

“Now I would love to say that I have an offer for you, but it’s more of a gift at this present time.” She delicately sipped at her drink before she continued speaking. “Lightfoot is dead. You will have no competition from him.” She’d only heard rumors about Lightfoot trying to edge his way into Jon’s line of work. When she’d found him at home alone, she’d questioned him. After he’d answered all her questions, she’d known he had to go. He’d had the contacts to have made his plan become reality. She hadn’t wanted to wait until he became actual competition.

Jonathan Hale

--------------------

Thanks, Courtney!

All Characters:

OWLHowler
^
Jonathan Hale
 Posted: Jun 5 2017, 08:04 PM

Investor

Group Icon

Plotter

“Very well,” Jon agreed with a nod, “it’s not like I don’t have more than enough work to keep you busy for a long time to come in the magical world. There’s always so much to do and so many people that need to be set right or set aside.”

It wouldn’t be a challenge to have people look into any contacts that Portia might have had at one time. If she was right, and there wasn’t anyone else to run to ground, they might at least happen across some useful people in their search. Jon had spent so much time getting his hands into things in the magical world that his presence in the muggle world had waned more than he was ok with.

“They wouldn’t have to come back, if you just wanted to check on them. Just remember that the offer is open should you change your mind,” he finished with a shrug.

Jon was simultaneously pleased and frustrated that she wasn’t jumping all over the favors he was offering. It was something that they’d clearly both learned – nothing was ever really free. It would have been nice to have her more closely tied to him, and marginally in his debt. Though, he couldn’t say he was surprised it hadn’t played out that easily.

“Parents always want better for their children, or so I’ve been told. I’d think he’d still be a little bit proud of you though. You’ve done quite well for yourself.”

A small grin spread across his face and he shrugged, “It would hardly have been a waste.”

“I can assure you that boredom shouldn’t be an issue for you. There is a lot to do and precious little time to do it. Someone kicked a hornet’s nest and there’s been a great deal of turnover in the Ministry and the ‘high society.’ Your talents will be quite important to make sure that it all falls out to our benefit.”

A soft laugh escaped him and he nodded, “I’d read about his unfortunate demise. I appreciate your proactive efforts on my behalf. I don’t suppose that you were able to obtain any of his notes? I have a general idea of what his plans were but it would be nice to know who had agreed to work with him.”

Portia Douglas

--------------------

=Art by G=

All Characters:

OWL
^
Portia Douglas
 Posted: Jun 5 2017, 08:48 PM

Assassin

Group Icon

Plotter

“Well, I’ll be glad to be kept busy.” Portia almost reminded him of the time she would need to prepare herself, but in the end, she didn’t. It wasn’t like he’d give her anything that had to be done immediately, right? In the past, she’d always been given at least a few days of planning time.

“Thanks, I’ll keep it in mind.” She wouldn’t have minded contact to make sure her mother was okay, but she wasn’t looking to be in anyone’s debt. She absolutely loathed owing favors to anyone. If there were favors being owed, she much preferred being the one who was able to collect on those favors.

She shook her head. “I have done well, but only because this is the only life I know. I don’t know how to do anything else. But it still isn’t what my father wanted for me. He was actually trying to figure out a way for me to get out without causing suspicion.” Okay, so she was stretching the truth. More than stretching it really. But she didn’t want Jon doing anything for her, especially not concerning her parents.

“So you say,” she smiled non-committedly. “It would be a waste of your time if nothing else. I’ve never depended on anyone and I’m not going to start now, if it’s all the same to you.” She didn’t sound defensive, though she was starting to feel a bit cornered. She refused to show it thought.

“I would prefer not to be bored yes. But Ministry issues?” She’d heard whispers, but nothing concrete enough to understand what was truly going on. “Does this come from your inside information? I have to admit that I know very little about current matters that isn’t public. Anything you can tell me now?” Then again, she usually didn’t know much about the current events of the Ministry or politics. She only knew what she was paid to know when it came down to it. It wasn’t like she was particularly invested in seeing benefits on a personal level. She just went where the money spoke the loudest.

She rolled her eyes at his questions. “Of course I have his notes. Not on my person, certainly, but I do have them in my possession, along with everything I got out of him. There were a few things he was stubbornly silent on, no matter my insistence for him to tell me, but I did get as much as I could possibly get. In fact, he did expire a bit too soon for my liking. He might even have been under a spell to keep the knowledge of everything from getting out.” At least with him dying sooner than she’d planned, it did give her ample time to leave a confusing crime scene for the aurors and gave her plenty of time to erase her presence.

Jonathan Hale

--------------------

Thanks, Courtney!

All Characters:

OWLHowler
^
Jonathan Hale
 Posted: Jun 7 2017, 08:36 PM

Investor

Group Icon

Plotter

It would be interesting to see if she still felt that way once his current plans got under way. She’d have a little bit to get settled in but he truly meant to keep her running once it all kicked off. As much as he’d have appreciated a bit more time to line things up, event had conspired to make sure that wasn’t the case. From what he’d seen so far, however, she was going to be more than up to the challenge.

“Good,” he replied. It would have been nice if she’d just gone ahead and taken him up on his offer but, as it was, her response was just about all he could have hoped for. She seemed at least marginally interested and hadn’t shot the idea down out of hand. They’d just have to see how that developed.

“That’s all anyone can do. Make the most of the life they know and thrive within it. I dare say that you’ve done marvelously well at that. Though, I can see how you might have concerns about visiting the man if you were doing the exact opposite of what he’d hoped for you.”
“Fair enough,” he replied with a nod.

It surprised him that she hadn’t been keeping up with current events all that much and he nodded, “Someone in the Minister’s family has stepped right into it and she’s been forced to resign. A couple other people have found themselves with egg on their faces as well and I am hoping to take advantage of the situation.”

A small grin appeared on his face as she confirmed that she’d had the presence of mind to grab whatever information she could along her way. It was always nice to work with professionals; with a nod he agreed, “A spell is certainly possible.”

“I’d like to hear or see whatever you found out as soon as possible.”

Portia Douglas

--------------------

=Art by G=

All Characters:

OWL
^
Portia Douglas
 Posted: Jun 8 2017, 04:53 PM

Assassin

Group Icon

Plotter

Portia gave a lady-like shrug. “I can only say I’ve done the best I could with what I had.” She’d had to do something after all. She’d been suddenly left with nothing but the clothes on her back and the skills she’d learned. She hadn’t even had time to pack any of her own clothes. And ever since, she’d done her best to steer clear of the muggle world. She had no idea if she had been added to any kind of watch list or anything like that, and she didn’t want to find out the hard way.

In all honesty, she was proud of herself. She’d done well enough to earn money. She had a fantastic wardrobe consisting of anything she might need for a job, a personal thing, or anything else. If there was something she didn’t have, she had money to go buy whatever it was she would need.

Once he’d mentioned the events he was thinking about, she realized she had heard about all that. But she would still pretend she hadn’t. She didn’t know the details anyway. She’d been a bit preoccupied recently anyway. “Oh? Do you know anything more? And do you have any plans of how to take advantage of it?” She was really asking for ideas on what he might need her to do. She much preferred being informed ahead of time so she could make her own plans on how to pull off a job.

She hated when information was hidden by spells. It did make retrieving that information almost impossible. “Well, I can’t think of any other way he wouldn’t have broken down and told me everything. He was singing without abandon about anything else. I’m thinking that he wasn’t actually in charge of anything and only told what he absolutely needed to know.” She nodded as he said he would like the information. “I will be happy to meet you with it. Just tell me when and where, and whether I should be myself or Eris.”

She wasn’t sure what the best way should be. Meeting up as herself implied more than a comfortable level of trust, regardless of what he’d already been told. Eris was the face she hid behind. She didn’t fancy spending her life in Azkaban.

Jonathan Hale

--------------------

Thanks, Courtney!

All Characters:

OWLHowler
^
Jonathan Hale
 Posted: Jun 13 2017, 09:16 PM

Investor

Group Icon

Plotter

“And you’ve done so very well for yourself. Your actions, if not your name, are well known and feared. It’s more than most are able to accomplish with their lives.”

“Nothing now, my people are still poking around,” he replied with a shake of his head. There were all sorts of rumors and pieces of information floating around out there but there wasn’t too much that he felt comfortable discussing at the moment. Most of it wasn’t verified and theorizing about this sort of things had never really struck him as worth his time unless he was trying to develop an in with some gossipy politician.

Jon finished, “Plans won’t be made until there are more definite details and I have a better idea of what I need to do that would truly be of benefit.”

“There’s just always so many people who seem determined to get in the way of this sort of thing,” he finished with a sigh.

It wouldn’t surprise him at all to find out that she’d wrung every bit of knowledge out of the poor, deluded fool. He was looking forward to finding out just what it was that she’d found out from the guy. He’d have to set up an appointment as soon as he got out of the restaurant and took a look at his calendar – there was always so much to do.

“We’ll arrange an appointment in the next day or so to go over what you’ve found out. Until then, you may also want to do some looking around at where you’d like to set up your home. You may contact me, or Gabriel,” he motioned toward the front window of the restaurant where a man was leaning against a car, “and we will ensure that all of the costs are taken care of.”

“As for Eris or yourself, I would think you’d want to continue to maintain your ‘Eris’ persona when you’re meeting with anyone else in our organization. If it just you and I, there’s no need for disguises.”

He looked at his watch and said, “As for now though, I have to attend another engagement. No rest for the wicked after all…”

*End Scene*

--------------------

=Art by G=

All Characters:

OWL
^
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Muggle World | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Complete
New Poll

Latest Shouts In The Shoutbox -- View The Shoutbox · Rules Collapse