Cryptic Conjuring -> The Ballroom
It is May 2077.
High temps reach 14°C while the lows stay nice at 7°C. Day begins at 5.30am and ends with sunset at 9pm. Rain is an almost constant with dry days being mostly clouded over.
A guest account is available for anyone who would like to look at other skins prior to joining. The username is CCGuest and the password is guest.

Choose your skin:

Plot
With the muggleborns in charge, nothing has really changed since the Battle of Hogwarts. The sides have been switched with those bearing old family names being discriminated against. Once again the revolution is upon us. What side will go to the darkest places to get what they want? Will it be yours?

Full Plot & Storyline
Staff
- Maz -
Plot Admin

- Tim -
General Admin

- G -
Admin's Little Helper
House Points
G
H

R
S
Board Stats
M F
Adults 19 12
University 3 1
Hogwarts 14 12

Hogwarts
First Years 0
Second Years 1
Third Years 1
Fourth Years 5
Fifth Years 4
Sixth Years 11
Seventh Years 4

Hogwarts Houses
Gryffindors 7
Hufflepuffs 6
Ravenclaws 5
Slytherins 8

University
First Years 2
Second Years 2
Third Years 0
Fourth Years 0

Blood Status
Purebloods 22
Halfbloods 20
Muggleborns 12
Unknown 2
Squibs 1
Vampires 1
Veelas 4
Fey 1
Werewolves 0
Changeling 0
Social Media

Tumblr

Rating

Click for Explanation
Casters
Spell and Dueling Caster

Bludger Caster

Chaser Caster
Memories
Looking Back

Trophy Room

Pages: (3) 1 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Complete
New Poll

The Ballroom, Open to All Attendees
Richard Morrigan
 Posted: Dec 4 2017, 04:02 PM

user posted image

Through the Great Hall, the rooms branched off. To the right was the Gallery that looked down onto the Courtyard. To the left, the doors opened into Ballroom. The ballroom was lit by charmed chandeliers and an octet was set up off to the side of the room to provide music for the evening's entertainment. At the end of the long room were two doors that opened out onto the balcony for those who wanted a bit of cool, fresh air from the warmth of the Ballroom.

user posted image

*Open to all Attendees*

--------------------

Thanks for the arts, G!

All Characters:

OWL
^
Drucilla Selwyn
 Posted: Dec 6 2017, 06:32 PM

The big night had finally come, a night Drucilla had been planning and waiting on for months. Earlier she'd nipped back home to get changed and now, standing in the kitchen she could only smile as the elves scurried around making sure everything was in place. A quick pep talk and soon Drucilla was making her way to the hall her long off-white dress robes sweeping the floor around her as she went.

Though she'd seen the finished product when Drucilla reentered the room it took her breath away. Everything was perfect; beautiful, elegant... befitting of her kind. It was filling up too since Drucilla had chosen to be fashionably late.

As she walked around the room she greeted those she passed with smiles and kind words. Her headdress was causing some annoyance. The filling to hold it in place, as though her hair beneath was in a beehive style was heavier than she'd imagined. The pearls adorning it - matching those around her neck - couldn't be helping matters either she knew. But it was a lovely thing and it sparkled so prettily as the light hit it.

An hour after the party began the hall was suitably full and it was time for Drucilla to say some words. The band stopped and seeing Drucilla standing in the center of the cleared floor people realised what was going on and finished their conversations and dancing. When almost everyone was settled Drucilla conjured an empty glass and fork from the nearest table. A tinkling sound swept the room as she tapped the fork against the glass. She had always liked this call to silence, it was so much politer than coughing. Drucilla quickly cast the sonorous spell after disappearing the glass and fork back where they'd come from. She took one more step forward.

"Thank you and welcome to our little get-together." Already there was some applause. The purebloods hadn't come together in such a long time. "Yes, it has been much too long." Drucilla answered the unspoken comment. "A great many of you present will not remember the parties of old, the days when we would come together once a year to celebrate as a big family." There was laughter from a group of older witches, Drucilla smiled at them amused. "Oh yes, up pops that nasty rumour. What is it they say I am? The collector of names? The grandmother of all families?" She laughed again. "Makes me sound like some sort of harlot who has worked through the world marrying men of notable lineage. Well, I'm sorry to inform you all but having to take care of one man-child was more than enough." More laughter from the guests, this time at greater volume. Those who knew her and even those who didn't knew of her devotion to her deceased husband.

"I cannot rubbish the collector rumour though I'm afraid. For I do see you all as family. Each and every one of you. I have family of blood." Her eyes found them. She smiled lovingly. "And I have family of the mind." She took in the rest of the guests with another kind smile. "Family is what this evening is all about. A coming together at Yule, our holiday which we will be taking back starting tonight!"

There were roars of applause from those gathered just as she'd expected. Drucilla let it die down before continuing. “It has pained me these past years to watch my wider family fracture and fight and much to my pleasure I found it displeased Richard Morrigan too." She looked to him and nodded, a silent gesture. "Our displeasure and fear pushed us to host this ball tonight and what a night it is set to be.” she paused.

“Your every delight shall be met I do sincerely hope before you leave this place. We have much entertainment; a performance from the amazing Brothers of the Breeze!” Applause again for the group of five high-flying men. “A dance by The Witches of the Weave!” Applause once more for the three sisters Drucilla suspected had more than a little veela in their blood. “A young man by the name of Ezekiel Starwiz-” Drucilla paused at the explosion of screeches from a bunch of teen girls. She grinned at them. “Yes, I suspected that announcement may set some butterflies whizzing… mines too.” Drucilla winked at the girls who giggled while the grouping of Drucilla’s lady friends erupted with cackles. Back to it. “Ezekiel Starwiz, the popular songwriter will be performing his latest hit for us.” The old witch paused to allow time for the cheers and more applause. “And, Miss Mazzabelle Cowan has graciously agreed to sing for us. For the first time in history, at a party of our design, the daughter of one of our world’s most talented musicians Jake Cowan will perform!”

There was some applause but not enough and nothing like the others got. This was just the first step though, the first of many. The people in this room would come to accept those of traitorous lines and halfbloods or Drucilla would die making them accept it. The stubbornness of her own kind was holding them all back and she was sick of it. Some of the silent non-clappers closest were treated to the woman's most daring glare. After a second or two even those most against clapped politely once or twice. It would do Drucilla decided, for the moment it would just have to do.

“Throughout the night the band” She swept a hand out indicating the bad who had been playing for the past hour. “Will keep our ears pleased and our feet moving with a mixture of songs for the season, songs of our world and some old music recently dug up from the depths of time.” Drucilla paused one last time.

“Finally I thank you once again for coming, it really does make me happy to see you all here and to share this night with each of you. Please, let your hair down and have as much fun as is humanly possible. Now, put your hands together for the Brothers of the Breeze!” Applause filled the room as Drucilla left the emptied floor area reversing the spell on her voice as she went. The five brothers dressed in orange and each holding a broomstick took the floor after her, bowed and then began their show.

--------------------
user posted image
OWL
^
Richard Morrigan
 Posted: Dec 6 2017, 09:13 PM

It had been far, far too long – possibly generations – since the Caer had hosted as many people as had arrived for the little party that he and Drucilla had thrown together. Richard was used to giving speeches in front of people at the Ministry, and at their little galas, but this was something a bit out of his wheelhouse and he was beyond pleased that Drucilla had been willing to largely take the lead on it. The elves had been ecstatic to have so much work to do and it occurred to him that they might insist he do things like this more often.

Just as he was re-entering the room from the balcony after a quick discussion with Drucilla’s son, he was alerted to what was going on when the pleasant tinkling sound of the fork against the crystal rang through the room. It was good timing, at that, and he stepped up behind her as she set about giving her welcoming speech. She had earned center stage but, as it was his home, it was only proper that he be there as well.

Her welcome was greeted with polite applause, and Richard scanned the room – trying to get a read of the crowd. They seemed grateful to have someone trying to unify them, but he also read a great deal of uncertainty among the mob. Her speech amused them and seemed to go a long way toward setting them at ease as the laughter rippled through the room, calming tensions. He was reminded again of how incredible she’d been in the Wizengamot.

At the mention of his name, he took another step closer. Standing just to her right, in solidarity with her, he waved to the crowd which applauded her again.

Richard was amused by their reactions to the list of performers that would be there to entertain them. It had taken some time to pull them all together, but even he was surprised by the last name on the list. He’d known Maz Cowan for some time through his grandson, and if he’d been drinking at the time it likely would have been a humiliating spit take. The applause for Maz was more muted than for the others – except for emanating from the back of the room where Tim and Amber let loose an immodest roar of approval for her.

When the speech finally wound down, Richard followed her down off the center stage and smiled as he caught up with her, “That was wonderfully spoken, Lady Selwyn. I would like to thank you again for helping to arrange all of this. I have no doubt it will be an extraordinary evening.”

--------------------

Thanks for the arts, G!

All Characters:

OWL
^
Caspian Lanchester
 Posted: Dec 8 2017, 10:52 AM

Caspian despised few things more than having to attend parties such as this one. It was a bitter reminder of his future and just how inevitable it was no matter how much he tried to convince himself otherwise. This was the rest of his life and there was nothing he could do about it… That thought alone made him want to go off himself with the killing curse but, alas, no such spectacle was going to spice up the evening since he was on duty at the moment tending to his mother.

Standing a little detached from the rest of the crowd so that they would cause no disturbance, Caspian had to act as translator to his mother so that she too could partake in Lady Selwyn’s speech. Over twenty years in the country and she still hadn’t managed to learn english. It was a pretty remarkable accomplishment to say the least but he also couldn’t hold it against her. She didn’t get out much and with a dick of a husband she wasn’t exactly encouraged to want to learn. Caspian actually half-suspected it was a sort of silent defiance on her part. Being held prisoner in such a marriage, entirely controlled by her husband, keeping her native tongue - the one thing over which her husband had no power at all was a pretty badass thing to do, and if that indeed was the case Caspian admired her for it. It showed a sort of resistance he wished his mother had more of.

As the speech dragged on Caspian paid only enough attention to what was being said to be able to give his mother a general gist, though he purposely made sure to incorrectly translate the bit about Lady Selwyn being a harlot because that was just too funny to pass up.
His mother looked quite shocked by it at first, as he had expected, but then she smirked and made an amused remark on the scandalous behaviour of the british gentry. She probably wasn’t entirely wrong either. Whilst Caspian didn’t want to speculate about his father in that regard, he had no problem imagining the rest of them as such; a bunch of stiff upper lipped snoots who undoubtedly got up to some pretty freaky stuff behind closed doors.
It was a funny thought at any rate.

They applauded along with everybody else as the entertainment was announced but Caspian didn’t quite share the enthusiasm for Ezekiel Starwiz and instead he made a point to clap a little extra when Lady Selwyn announced they’d be treated to a performance by Maz.
That he just had to see.

--------------------
user posted image
OWL
^
Drucilla Selwyn
 Posted: Dec 12 2017, 08:29 PM

"Yes, it will do." Drucilla answered Richard's thanks though she was distracted. The night had to be perfect, everything had to be just so... The response to the Cowan girl's name displeased her greatly and gave her some thinking to do.

The speech she felt could have been a lot more polished. Normally she could pull a speech from nowhere and hold the ears of all those around with ease. Words flowed from her usually needing little thought before they were in her head. She was out of practice though, for the longest time in her life. The old witch had silently cursed herself for not writing something down or practicing the speech beforehand. It was an error she should not have made.

"No need to thank me." She pulled her mind fully back to the conversation and smiled at the man. "I have enjoyed myself immensely. I never did realise how much I missed entertaining." She liked the preparation most of all but also enjoyed the event itself.

"What did you think of them?" She inquired with a wave to indicate the witches and wizards now watching the show. "I had thought they'd show more decency for the girl." She scowled but not on Maz's behalf. No, the girl feelings weren't very high on Drucilla's list of concerns. Much higher was this gamble of hers paying off. Should she have waited? Was it too soon?

No she stubbornly decided. It would work. These people just had to be made see sense. The least they could do was show some grace while one of their own shared their talents. For the girl was one of their own. Despite what she'd previously heard of the girl Dru still viewed her much like she viewed Arthur Weasley. There was a chance to get them onside and that was what she was set on achieving.

"Should I change the order? Maybe have Mazzabelle sing next... I think I should... I think I shall... probably for the best." Her mind was not fully made up, this was all new territory to her and while she did appreciate Richard's input. More than appreciate she needed it. As far as their plans were concerned they were just the beginning of the team they were forming.

Richard Morrigan

--------------------
user posted image
OWL
^
Keenan Marsden
 Posted: Dec 13 2017, 12:01 PM

Keenan knew he and Kynthia should have arrived at the ball together. Just as he predicted he was left looking like a spare part at a wedding just wandering around. He felt so out of place, more foreign than he'd ever felt in another country. Keenan well knew that his invite to the evening had more to do with his sister's standing than his own. He did not fit in with these people.

Dress robes were another thing. He detested dress robes. Personally he felt he had a lot more freedom in muggle clothes. He certainly never had his muggle attire fastened all the way to the neck as the robes were. Keenan fussed with the collar pulling it out and away. Why did anyone in their right mind choose to wear dress robes?

While walking around Keenan kept an eye on the performers though he'd seen them before. They were rather good and brave too. There was no way Keenan would ever dare attempt some of the tricks they did so far from the floor.

The best thing about being a pub landlord was that people became known to you. Keenan was now on first name terms with a great many people, a wide variety of magicals all because of his work. It made evenings like this that little bit easier.

"Surprised to find you here." Keenan spoke jokingly as he stepped beside Caspian, "You always seemed far too cool for something like this, Lanchester." Making himself seen by the woman beside the young man Keenan bowed. "Evening, ma'am." It was the proper thing to do on such a night. Yes, even a lowly barman knew how to be proper.

Caspian Lanchester

--------------------
user posted image
Thanks to Courtney for the set
OWL
^
Richard Morrigan
 Posted: Dec 13 2017, 04:33 PM

“I’m glad to hear that you’ve been enjoying yourself,” Richard replied with a chuckle, “and I have little doubt that you’ll have plenty of opportunity to play in this particular sandbox again. We’re going to need more gatherings than just this one.”

At her question about the crowd his eyes scanned them again. They’d listened well enough but even know they were still segregating themselves by bloodline. Then, there was also the reaction to Maz’s performance – interestingly, it almost seemed like the Half-bloods had been less accepting; like they were trying to overcompensate for not being pure themselves.

“It was a good start. They’re going to need some more work. It would have been nice if everything had gone off flawlessly tonight, but we can’t expect miracles here.”

“Somehow, I don’t think that Maz would appreciate suddenly being on next,” he answered with a laugh.

Then he finished, “Though there wouldn’t be anything wrong with moving her up a bit in the order. Maybe, just a little be more notice than, ‘You’re on now.’”

“At the moment, I should probably go mingle some more – try to get an idea on where we’re starting from and what our baseline actually is. I’ll check back in with you periodically.”

With a short bow Richard moved away and into the crowd, hoping to find that things weren’t really as badly divided as it had seemed from his position at the front of the room.

Drucilla Selwyn

--------------------

Thanks for the arts, G!

All Characters:

OWL
^
Drucilla Selwyn
 Posted: Dec 13 2017, 08:30 PM

It was good to know that once again they shared the same thoughts. Drucilla saw many of these occassions in the future. They wouldn't all be balls of course or on the same scale as the evening but they would still need planned. It was quite amazing the amount of effort that went into even the smallest get-together. Drucilla could not wait to dive right in.

Drucilla would have argued with him about miracles. She could expect just that. Or rather she could make one happen. It would just take a bit more work. Miracles happened when people put in the effort - that was her firm belief.

She chuckled as he laughed though she could not care any less for what the girl would appreciate. This was about much more than one girl. Richard seemed to like her though and Drucilla was in a sort of grudging awe and almost like for her.

"I can see how she feels about it." That didn't mean she had to go along with what she wanted though. Drucilla would have final say, she was giving enough to that damned creature charity for the pleasure afterall.

"Avoid Theodore Watkins he was a bit worse for wear when he arrived." Disdain dripped from her every word. The man would have been thrown straight out if he hadn't the slim chance of being useful to them going forward. "I have someone from security watching him closely."

The security was something Drucilla felt was a must. Some of the best duelers of the day were in attendance - those of proper lineage obviously. They were tasked with not only keeping the guests safe but also quietly getting rid of those embarrassing themselves. Someone always did.

"I'll see the girl." She spoke hurriedly to herself as she left The Ballroom to make her way to the room they'd set the performers and stylists up in. She could see what they all thought of a little shuffling of the line-up. Perhaps the others would side with her and she could put it to a vote against the girl if needed.

--------------------
user posted image
OWL
^
Caspian Lanchester
 Posted: Dec 14 2017, 08:59 AM

The entertainment was well-received and appreciated by the onlookers, or so it appeared. Caspian had no idea if the cheers were of the genuine variety or simply that of polite pretence, but he didn’t really care either way. The only reason he was still lingering in the ballroom was because he wanted to hear Maz sing and after that he was going to head straight for the bar.
In the meanwhile, as he waited, he chit chatted with his mother, pointing out people in the crowd he knew from hogwarts or university and let spill some juicy details about each and every one of them to amuse her. He figured if he didn’t know anybody and someone was pointing out people to him he’d much rather want to know the unseemly titbits than the conventional, boring stuff.
And speaking of unseemly titbits, someone who probably knew every dirty little secret there was to know of the people of wizarding britain was the owner of the Three Broomsticks. Caspian hadn’t really expected to find him there either but it was a pleasant surprise nonetheless.

"Too cool? Never!” Caspian protested sarcastically and chuckled, “I live for these kinds of things. I can’t tell you for how long I've dreamed of one day being the belle of the ball... Though, it seems I’m destined always to be outshined by Lady Selwyn."
He shook his head in disappointed defeat as he glanced across the ballroom towards where the elderly witch was engaged in conversation with the former chief warlock.

As was the polite thing to do Caspian then introduced his mother to the pub landlord. She managed to say she was happy to make his acquaintance but that was about as far as as her english skills could take her and knowing she wouldn’t be able to follow along in any further conversation without her son having to translate, she politely excused herself to go find her husband. Caspian was pretty glad to be rid of her, honestly. He loved his mother, naturally, but he wasn’t exactly thrilled by the idea of having to babysit her the entire evening.
Following his mother with his gaze as she moved away from them to eventually be engulfed by the sea of people, his eyes then once again found Lady Selwyn.

“I’ve actually been silently debating whether I should ask her for a dance later.” Caspian said and crossed his arms over his chest, smirking amusedly. “Lady Selwyn, I mean. But, I’m uncertain what the odds would be of my surviving it...”

Keenan Marsden

--------------------
user posted image
OWL
^
Keenan Marsden
 Posted: Dec 15 2017, 08:56 PM

"Are there any present who does not pale in her shadow?" Keenan was good at the sarcasm too. Following Caspian's glance he saw the woman they were talking about. The woman who'd marched into his pub and pretty much demanded he attend the ball. The landlord had heard enough rumours to at least suspect what would happen if he went against her. And what harm did attending do? As long as he didn't do anything to embarrass himself he and his business would be fine.

When Caspian's mother left Keenan was worried it was because he had intruded. It wasn't something he would enquire about though and he quickly convinced himself it was for some other reason. Though he kept the fallback that if she left because of him it was for polite reasons so that was okay. He guessed.

"Well..." Keenan watched the old woman too. "She did admit to liking a younger man in her speech." He paused in thought. "Though I guess that would just change the worry. What would you do if she took a liking to you?" He grinned, at least he was enjoying himself just now, in this moment. It was more than he'd expected when he set out earlier that evening.

Still thinking about the lady they were speaking of Keenan asked. "So what do you think of all this?" Keenan was sure there was a hidden motive. Obviously not the spoken one of taking a holiday back, or at least not just that. The reason behind the evening had kept him wondering and almost had him going against what was best for his pub and not coming.

Caspian Lanchester

--------------------
user posted image
OWL
^
Maz Cowan
 Posted: Dec 18 2017, 09:47 PM

Some rooms had been set aside for the performers and that is where they'd been since the start of the evening. Maz hadn't even had a chance to say a quick hello to Amber and Tim. She also hadn't had a chance to ask them how the hell she'd ended up agreeing to this as she'd intended.

It was a valid question. One minute she remembered politely telling the woman thanks but no and then she was agreeing, planning. It wasn't right and Maz still felt that she would never have been up for this. No way in hell. The old woman had done something but once she'd agreed it had been too late to back out. A fact her lawyer had reminded her of when he'd pointed out that if she went against the Selwyn woman it would be those who worked for her business who would suffer most. Maybe it was time for a new lawyer - this one knew how to play her all too well.

Sitting in the chair the girl let her mind wander to that night. Her day had been spent readying herself, doing the voice exercises her teacher had taught her and not speaking a whole lot. It was a weird feeling this choosing to be silent but she knew it would soon end, hopefully in a big way. She could cope, she would cope. Her hair was tugged this way and that, make-up applied to her face but Maz ignored it all. Her thoughts jumped rapidly between a wondering why she'd ever been willing to do this and a worrying of what she was to do.

Soon most of the preparation was complete. Wands and hands left her hair and removed themselves from before her face. She was just being zipped into her dress - a beautiful dress she had to give the old bag credit for that - when the yelling started in the room they were given for mingling.

Stepping into the next room she was greeted by the sight of two men roaring in each others faces. One of them was minus any clothing except a pair of golden snitch boxer shorts - Ezekiel Starwiz. Maz started laughing, loudly but stopped quickly. She didn't want to risk getting caught up in a laughing fit.

The men turned to her scowling. Maz bit the inside of her mouth hold the laughter at bay.

"Instead of standing there laughing, Maz, why don't you help?" The agent snarked at her sneering her name as he spoke it.

"Dinnae see why ah should really. Least ye could dae is ask nicely." She'd walked over to the house-elf in the room as she'd spoken. "Drunk is he?" The agent nodded and Maz told the elf what they needed. "Where's the dancers?" While holding his client in place the agent shrugged his head towards another door. Maz frowned, a frown that cleared when she opened the door and peeked in on the sisters. She closed it quickly, another bout of laughter threatening. She couldn't let it out, with how her nerves were coming around on a loop it could easily turn hysterical. "They're never gittin' oot eh that." She commented keeping her tone deliberately flat.

The house-elf reappeared. Maz took the potion bottle. "We git this doon 'im an' then the coffee." The elf sat the steaming mug on a table. "Keep a haud eh 'im an' it'll be simple." The girl told the agent as she advanced on the singer.

--------------------
user posted image
-Mega thanks to Court for the set-
OWL
^
Drucilla Selwyn
 Posted: Dec 18 2017, 10:22 PM

Drucilla heard the noise before she got the the room and scowled. She'd heard all about that girl and her drinking habits. She'd warned her. Storming to the room now she threw the door open and stomped in.

"What in the name of Merlin?"

As the door swung closed behind her Drucilla stopped and stared. It wasn't a scene she was expecting and took her a moment or two to catch up with what was happening. On the floor was one of the evenings singers, holding his arms was his agent, holding his legs a house-elf and sitting astride him dressed for her performance the Cowan girl.

"There ye go!" The girl exclaimed as she'd managed to hold his head still long enough to pour the potion into his mouth.

Drucilla gave them all a moment. The girl and clothed man quickly pulled the drunkard to a chair which they threw him onto. A quick discussion between the two resulted in the man coaxing his client to drink some coffee.

The girl addressed Drucilla informing her that the man would need at least half an hour for the potion to take proper effect. The bright side was he'd be stone cold sober then. "The Sisters?" Drucilla asked having noticed the absense of them and the stylists. She frowned when the girl walked over and opened the door to the room the dancers had been using for practice.

Intrigued she entered. In the mostly bare room the stylists she'd hired were huddled looking at something she could barely glimpse through their legs. As she approached they moved to the side. "How?" she asked a look of horrified amazement on her face. "How is that even possible?"

The elf had followed her through. "Fix them." she snapped at it. "I do not care how it's done, do it." she snapped again when it looked like the elf would question her. She was seething with rage and would have loved nothing more than to hex everyone in the room with her. Back in the main room she closed the door behind her scowling when her eyes fell on Ezekiel. He didn't look well, not at all and that pleased Drucilla. Though a hex from her wand would please her more of course.

The snuffling laughter from the corner caught her attention. The scowl turned on the girl who did appear to be doing her best to keep it in with both hands clasped over her mouth. "Oh I hope you find this funny, Mazzabelle. Thanks to this drunk and those idiots in there..." Drucilla paused and smiled. In a sense she was getting her way much sooner than expected with no work on her own part. "You're up next."

The girl opened her mouth but Drucilla stopped her with a raised hand. She knew the objection, the only objection the girl could have. "What was agreed no longer matters. Circumstances change. You go next." She glanced at her watch. "Ten minutes."

--------------------
user posted image
OWL
^
Kynthia Marsden
 Posted: Dec 18 2017, 11:56 PM

Kynthia let out a soft hum as she came through the doors. She had planned to be here earlier, much earlier. However, the brunette somehow managed to loose track of time and left her workshop an hour later than scheduled. Kyn did not like being late to a function, but at the same time stifling her creativity would be detrimental to her work. Despite what some may think, metal charming was not just about crafting; one needed to feel the magic and how it is interacting with the runes. Magic breathed, in some fashion any way. And once the magic meshed together it was hard to pull oneself out of the shop. It could take weeks to get that back.

Granted not most of her clientèle would not care that she showed up late, only that she showed up so she had that going for her. That's all that really mattered here after all. Her attendance at these events often allowed for a diverse clientèle, and sometimes very lucrative deals. Perhaps it was the Slytherin in her but she was all about connections.

Allowing herself to scan the room, Kynthia made notes of some people she should talk to: clients to update on progress, various benefactors, and she even spotted Richard Morrigan. She did not know much about the older man, only that he was a fellow Slytherin alumni. Sure she had read some articles about him, but she was hardly fool enough to assume she knew him. However, ever the Slytherin, she figured it would not hurt to greet the host.

With her mind made up, Kynthia made her way to Richard Morrigan."Greetings, Mr. Morrigan. I wanted to thank you for the hosting the event. You have such a lovely home." Kynthia said with a polite smile. The brunette made sure to wait until he was not engaged in a conversation with someone, careful to not step on any toes so to speak.

Richard Morrigan

--------------------

Other Characters:

OWL
^
Isla Greengrass
 Posted: Dec 19 2017, 12:06 AM

Isla Greengrass grinned like a kneazle who already got the cream. This was the kind of lifestyle she was accustom to: the extravagance, the polite society (even though there were some questionable rift raft), and all of the juicy details. Of course her own home was grandiose and she absolutely adored it, there was just something about a party that always attracted Isla.

Perhaps it was the details. The planning, the guest list, all of the work that went into such a fabulous event. Either way, Isla was exactly where she wanted to be. The brunette even had a list of people she wanted to meet and discuss and the Lady Selwyn was one of them. Of course the elder witch would need some time before she could be seen meeting with a reporter. If for no other reason then to ensure that everything was going along well. It would not do to have the party end in disaster all because the hostess was prevented from managing it.

Isla let out a soft sigh and headed to get herself a refreshment. Perhaps she could interview a few of the guest and see how the feel about the party and more importantly about Yule itself. After all, yule was such an important part of their traditions.

--------------------

user posted image
I am the Architect of my own Disaster.
Other Characters:
OWL
^
Richard Morrigan
 Posted: Dec 19 2017, 03:16 PM

Ever the politician, Richard was making his way around the room; he shook hands and chatted happily with his guests as he worked to get a read on the room and try to smooth out some of the rough spots. There was a wide cross-section of the magical world represented in his home and they didn’t all see eye to eye. Not even just the purebloods and the half-bloods – there were even pureblood families with feuds going back generations that needed to be kept in check.

The movement out of the corner of his eye caught his attention and he turned to see the young woman approaching him. He took the opportunity to break away from the seventh cousin or something like that that had been trying to work up the courage to ask for something – probably a loan – and turned to face her.

With a smile and a slight bow, he replied, “Thank you Ms. Marsden. I’m pleased that you were able to attend tonight. Your brother too, I believe I saw him floating around here somewhere…”

“How is your business doing?”

“I never had much skill in artifice, but I have always been impressed with the art,” he offered with a friendly nod.

Kynthia Marsden

--------------------

Thanks for the arts, G!

All Characters:

OWL
^
Arthur Weasley
 Posted: Dec 19 2017, 03:37 PM

As grand as it was, the party and its attendees did little other than to remind Arthur of the sort of society he should have grown up in. His parents had been a part of the problem and, to the best of his knowledge, they were still out there somewhere carrying the banner for the people who were trying to destroy the magical world. The jarring contrast between Caer Morrigan and the Burrow – where he’d grown up – was almost painful and he once again failed to understand how his parents had been willing to live the way they had.

He wasn’t oblivious to the way that most of the people avoided him and sneered at him when they thought his back was turned. There was a part of him that was considering tracking down Lady Selwyn and thanking her for the invitation and calling it an early night. It would be easy enough to make up and excuse about having to get to work – after all, the creatures he was working with at the moment kept remarkably odd hours.

With one more look down at the empty glass of whiskey he was holding he considered for just a moment before deciding that he could probably get one more and then head out. He’d seen the bottle that the whiskey was being served from and he knew just enough about liquor to know that it was expensive – beyond what he could reasonably afford back home and he intended to enjoy it.

Once into the crowd around the refreshments station, he waited until it was his turn only to have someone brush past him and jostle him into a young lady who was also seemingly waiting her turn. He glared at the man who’d run into him who only paused long enough to tell Arthur to watch where he was going – as though he hadn’t been standing still – and then he disappeared off into the crowd.

“I’m sorry,” he said, turning to the person he’d run into after the cause of his clumsiness was gone.

He looked her over to make sure he hadn’t made a mess and offered ruefully, “I hope I didn’t make you spill anything.”

Isla Greengrass

--------------------

Thanks for the arts, G!

All Characters:

OWL
^
Caspian Lanchester
 Posted: Dec 19 2017, 07:25 PM

The barman had a good point and Caspian couldn’t but nod in agreement.

He then chuckled as the barman’s next remark. "True... That too is a rather scary thought, but certainly flattering if that’d be the case. And I couldn't really blame her either, could I?" He joked with a cheeky smile, "I mean, look at me."
Still, joke aside, the idea of Lady Selwyn taking a fancy to him didn’t strike him as even half so scary as the idea of actually walking up to her and ask for a dance. A strange sentiment perhaps but it was an intimidating thing to ask a woman like that for anything.

"Do you reckon she’s one to get into silly infatuations though?” Continued Caspian by wondering aloud, “She strikes me as too seasoned a lover to still need to seek that titillation of romancing.” Utter speculations of course but Caspian did like to muse on such matters however wild his guesses may be, and he went on in the same speculating a fashion though certainly lowering his tone at that point so that he wouldn’t be overheard by some twit with too much of a stick up their arse to recognise a bit of humour, “Now a toy boy on the other hand - A bit of no-strings fun on the side - I wouldn't be at all surprised if she keeps a few of those."
...And if she didn't, maybe she'd be open to it if the right chap came along. A thought which naturally provoked Caspian into a very sly grin.

Following the barman’s question Caspian looked at him a little surprised. He wasn’t entirely sure what his intentions were; if he was simply asking for Caspian’s thoughts on Lady Selwyn’s abilities to throw a party or if there was any deeper meaning behind it.
Opting for the former rather than the latter he answered, "It’s a decent shindig, isn’t it... A bit too formal for my liking maybe but hey, there's free booze. Can’t complain when there’s free booze."

Keenan Marsden

--------------------
user posted image
OWL
^
Keenan Marsden
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 07:27 PM

Keenan laughed. "I'll give you the edge on age but no way will I ever concede on looks." He was all chat when it came to the banter. "I've put years of effort into sculpting this physique." Not that he actually worked out to look good or usually recognised that he did infact look good. "I'm willing to step aside though. Bro to the end." He fist bumped his own chest over his heart.

"Oh it's all about the sex I think. She strikes me as the cougar type." He grinned. "Play your cards right and she'll shower you in gifts." Every so often as they spoke Keenan would glance around quickly. It was all fair and well this joking at the old lady's expense but they'd probably die a horrible death if she got wind of it.

"I keep saying that's where I go wrong with the pub - no free booze." He shrugged and chuckled before looking towards the performers. They seemed to be finishing up. Yes, since people were now applauding quite loudly and the men bowing he was sure they were done.

Keenan held his glass in the crook of his arm so he could clap along too. "They're a weird bunch them." He told Caspian as the men continued to lap up the applause. "Bumped into them while travelling a few times. That one... the one on the end with the epic beard. He keeps bits of himself... and he isn't even the oddest."

Caspian Lanchester

--------------------
user posted image
OWL
^
Kynthia Marsden
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 07:57 PM

Kynthia glanced at the person who Mr. Morrigan had just finished talking to. From their frown it was obvious that they were not happy with her intrusion into the conversation. Though she did wait until it seemed like the conversation stalled before she went up, it was hardly her fault that their host was finished with the conversation. The person was obviously not a Slytherin if they couldn't tell that from Mr. Morrigan's posture.

The brunette returned the kind gesture with a curtsy of her own; a custom she had learned early on in her years at Hogwarts. "I'm glad my brother had managed to attend, I had meant to arrive with him but my work kept me a tad longer than I originally planned. But I am grateful to attend such a lovely event."

At the question about her business, Kynthia's eyes lit up and a grin adorned her lips. Her little shop in the alley had flourished well. "It is going splendidly, the only regret I have is how little time I have to travel now. But I'm pleased with my results." Which was true, she was making more galleons now than she had ever done with past jobs. It probably helped that she had less expenses now as well. Regardless, Kynthia was pleased with her results. "Though I suppose it wouldn't hurt to look at taking an apprentice with how busy I am." She mused aloud.

"It is a skill that requires an innate talent, I admit. But the rewards are wonderful. For example, I wouldn't ever need to ask for a loan." She replied with a cheeky grin, her eyes flickering to the still grumbling person a few meters away.

"How have you been?" Kynthia asked with genuine interest. The Slytherin in her knew that if she could make a contact out of Mr. Morrigan than that would be a huge bonus. But that same side also was rather protective of her fellow house mates, current or graduates. Slytherins always stuck together. Hosting and being a politician was hard work, Kynthia could never do it; which is perhaps why she has a decent amount of respect for the wizard in front of her. The least she could do for her fellow alum was to give him a conversation without any strings attached--a rare occurrence but not an impossible one.

Richard Morrigan

--------------------

Other Characters:

OWL
^
Isla Greengrass
 Posted: Dec 20 2017, 08:21 PM

"Filthy cretin," Isla glowered as she was jostled by the blood-traitor. Oh she could tell from a kilometer away that the person who bumped into her was a Weasley. However, her comment had not been directed towards the blood-traitor, who admittedly seemed pretty apologetic. "Obviously he was not raised in polite society." She sniffed. Isla wondered about the guest list, but figured there was an ulterior motive for it. There had to be, Richard Morrigan had impeccable tastes; he would not just let anyone into his home without cause.

"It's fine, Mr. Weasley," Isla responded. "You hardly intended for it to happen." Isla paused, debating on whether or not she should extend her hand to the fellow. Mr. Weasley obviously had some clout worth the attention of Mrs. Selwyn and Mr. Morrigan, but did she really want to touch a blood traitor? Deciding no, Isla gave a small curtsy before saying, "Pleasure to meet your acquaintance, I am Isla Greengrass, reporter for the Daily Prophet." Of course with the added information of her job description, she hoped he wouldn't ask how she knew him. Isla had made it a requirement for herself to know all of the blood traitor familes their society produced, not that she could say that. But saying that she worked for the Prophet usually helped provide her an excuse. Plus it wouldn't be hard to just say she deduced it from his appearances--the Weasleys' have a very distinct look about them.

"I'm fine, Mr. Weasley. My gown was not ruined at least. How are you enjoying the ball? Would you mind if I asked you some questions?" Isla asked. Doing a little snooping would definitely improve her mood; had she not been in polite society, Isla would have hexed that other wizard rotten. He must of been raised by mudbloods what with his poor manners. "I am hoping to write an article about this lovely event."

Arthur Weasley

--------------------

user posted image
I am the Architect of my own Disaster.
Other Characters:
OWL
^
Share this topic:
« Next Oldest | Winter Ball | Next Newest »

Topic Options
Pages: (3) 1 2 3 
Complete